Tuesday, 6 October 2015
Day 30 Creativity - Solar Dyeing, some of the results.
I set up the initial batch of solar dyeing as Day 10 Creativity here, this was on 13th August. I added some more dyeing as mordanted yarn and jam jars became available.
It is nearly 2 months since the first batch and some of the later ones seem to have taken over in terms of their 'readiness'.
I am gradually opening the jars, rinsing and drying the skeins.
So here are the results from the first lot of opening:
From the inside outwards:
Rosebay Willowherb - this is virtually orange. It is a very good shade and dyed quickly. I had never tried it before. The idea came about during a conversation with a local ' mature' farmer and his wife reminiscing about natural dyeing. The lady had not used meadowsweet but remembered using Rosebay Willowherb. I will try more of it next year - it's a local plant and seems at it's best here in the late summer verges.
Dahlia flower head - the dahlia flowers in my garden are pink - and huge and it has given a good yellow. I have lots of flowers but unfortunately in terms of available local yellow dye it is superseded ( read on!)
Tansy - I had only dyed with dried Tansy before and was not excited by the colour. We have lots of Tansy in our 'new' garden so I was hoping for and expecting a really nice yellow. Instead it is a very consistent beige - not unpleasant but not as exciting a colour as the Rosebay Willowherb
Golden Rod - this is a fantastic yellow, limey green yellow. Dyes quickly and is very consistent. We had lots in the garden - in fact it is not quite over yet. Will definitely use this again.
So, all in all, a worthwhile experiment.