Friday 4 September 2015

Day 23 Creativity - Keeping Natural Dyeing Records

Natural Dyeing is great fun, but it is useful to have a good base to start from, enabling more creativity without re-inventing the wheel.
I try and keep 10g yarn samples and a Dyeing File of dyed yarn butterflies with detailed methods.

Over the years I have got better at :
- Labelling my actual samples
- Maintaining each dyeing record in the file

I try and add to the yarn label
- The fleece type

- The date
- The mordant ( if any), dyestuff and concentration
- Modifiers used

The Dyeing record is much more detailed and I have arranged this as a double page spread with yarn butterflies of the dyed yarns.




I often repeat dyestuffs I like and it is useful to know exactly what I did.

As I have said ( many times ! ), I like to tell a story in my spinning, weaving, dyeing, knitting, sewing etc and this file is the place to turn to to know that story for my dyeing.
It's also lovely to look at during the year

2 comments:

  1. How organised I should really do that then I wouldn't constantly be searching my mind ofr how I got a particular colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good idea but the mind always wants to use the colours rather than record how i got there!!

    ReplyDelete