Wednesday 1 February 2012

Blue Tweed Coat

Most of last year was a challenge to me, due to my husband’s ill health, subsequent operation and recovery that much of life went on hold. January has been disrupted too, for an entirely different reason. As the month comes to an end, life is beginning to return to ‘normal’ whatever that is and I have decided that Feb 1st will be my New Year. I am determined to spend more time on textile activities. I have managed to immerse myself into some projects but not enough.

I have made another coat, this is a real winter one. The fabric is from Trefriw Woollen Mill in the Conway valley in Wales, and the tweed was woven there. It is very thick and hence very warm.


The silk lining, which I think is THE best part of the coat is from Bollington in Cheshire and chosen especially to be the lining in this coat. The pattern is the same one as the camel coat I made in early 2011 (details on this blog) and I pretty much used the same techniques. The one addition was the use of a ‘clapper’ for pressing the seams etc after steaming. It is a brilliant piece of kit and has allowed me to make an even more professional job. I so love the coat and I am determined to wear it and not keep it just to look at lovingly.
I’ve been asked how long it took to make – I have no idea – I am a ‘Slow Textiles’ follower and believe in enjoying the journey as much as the product – also a bit of a perfectionist! The coat is mainly natural fabrics -the interfacings and thread are synthetic however unfortunately! The buttons are vintage, early plastic from a favourite of tin vintage buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment