Sunday 23 January 2011

Making a coat

So my current project is making a coat. I have spent 2 years looking for the perfect coat and have failed to find one that ticks all my boxes and cost wasn't one of them!
I was looking for:
Good design
High waisted
Good quality wool
Fits me not swamps me
Length suitable to wear with skirts ie not to be an inch or so too short nor an inch or two above ankle height
Not black
Quality construction

Not unreasonable 'wants' but seemingly impossible to fulfil. I even tried a compromise of buying a coat that fitted most of the criteria & altering it, ie taking out the unflattering hip widening pockets and this has sort of worked to give me a coat with trousers - it's actually too short to wear with a skirt! Lesson to learn here - don't go coat shopping wearing trousers.

So what will follow is the story of my coat project.

Wool and cashmere material bought at Knitting & Stitching Show in Harrogate (colour camel); lining is divine from a local silk mill, iron on interfacing from my stash, buttons from John Lewis. Loops - I intend to make custom braid, pattern Vogue no V8548

Experience tells me that time spent in preparation pays off!
Stage 1
Select tissue pieces and alter to fit my measurements, re draw lines where I am a size 8 and where I am larger.. add exta tissue, etc
I’ll be adding photos as I go along – more tomorrow….

No comments:

Post a Comment