Sunday 6 February 2022

Investigating more natural dyed green colours


I used two different yarns, a couple of skeins of jumper weight as test skeins to judge the strength of the dye of the indigo vat and the remaining skeins were Shetland Supreme 2 ply. I used Genista Tinctoria from the garden. (1) 

The plant



This is a heritage dye and has been noted as being used in England since prehistoric times and before weld and other plants giving a similar yellow were imported. It was used for dyeing by the Romans and in the reign of Edward II along with woad to give ‘Kendal’ green. (2). In the 1700s it is stated that it was used to dye linen and wool cloth and also leather. Sources state the summer as the time to dye with this.  I decided to use the January prunings as my  brain told me that it might work and give me a reasonable yellow.   The dye, a flavone, contains a couple of compounds with large multi ring molecules, one of which is also found in weld. 

I used the dye alongside indigo and on a cold and dull afternoon I was really pleased to get these colours. I can see why a common name for this plant is Dyer’s Greenweed. 

The greens from this trial



I had previously used the Genista Tinctoria to dye some Shetland Supreme yarn in which I knitted a mini crescent shawl, which I still need to write about in more detail.

It is being ‘dressed’ currently. As I think you will agree  I got far more than a reasonable dye, from a January dye bath. It is a brilliant yellow! I have learnt that many dye books just repeat earlier ones and this is how inaccuracies creep in! 

Mini shawl being dressed



I am currently in love with these  plants which I have nurtured for a few years and also glad I have more of the current batch of dye in my store! I am looking forward to having more time to experiment. 


This mini shawl was from a workshop with Elizabeth Williamson (3). The lime/apple green is for another sample technique  workshop and the two skeins on the right are likely to be used together in yet another lace knitting workshop. 


As I was pruning the bush in preparation of this I did a bit of weeding in the area and dug this up…….which I am sure many of you will recognise. I am expecting there will be more about dyeing with this plant later in the year. (Answer at the end of this) 

Picture



Further details of my natural dyeing can be found on my website, there is a link to it from the top right of this blog 

Last photo is a small madder root 


  1. Other ‘everyday’ names include Dyer’s Broom, Dyer’s Weed, Dyer’s Greenweed, Dyer’s Greenwood, Woad Waxen, 
  2. Kendal is a town in Cumbria 
  3. Elizabeth is also running online workshops, see her website for further details

No comments:

Post a Comment