Wednesday 8 April 2020

The teal cardigan





I have had a cone of teal crepe yarn for years. It has been used for machine knitting samples, including the one for this  ‘knit weave’ on the knitting machine 

The cushion with some ribbon yarn from Colinette many years ago. 




I hoped there was enough left to knit another of my favourite cardigans, and there was! 

I used my normal pattern developed over the years but this time I decided to add hand manipulated lace to the edges of the sleeves. 




I am pleased with it but the lace took 45 minutes, the majority of the time for machine knitting each sleeve. It is worth it though, I like added details. 

All the pieces were blocked before constructing. 

The shoulders were joined on the knitting machine. 

All other  seams were done on the sewing machine as I have detailed elsewhere (1) 

I am very pleased with it. It picks up a colour in the tweed of my wool skirt. 



It also matches some of my dresses which I am more likely to start wearing if this hot sunny weather continues. 


The finished cardigan on the duplicate body model. This has been difficult to photograph but I think these photos give a good impression. 



Whilst searching for samples, I found this one that I love, the crepe and grey sewing thread knit in a technique called ‘punch lace’. Perhaps the 110 g I have left is enough for an elegant summer top, but then maybe I won’t chance my luck  but look for another similar colour crepe! That will also mean working on my vintage Knitmaster 700 knitting machine taker than the a brother I normally use. 



  1. See details of the construction of seams in the post about the ground elder cardigan






No comments:

Post a Comment