Tuesday 6 February 2024

Shetland Autumn 2023 Day 11: Tues Sept 12 : Lace Knitting at the Old Haa Yell and more



Today we were off to Unst for a few days and winding our way through Yell, the island in the middle, on the way up. 

We had booked the first ferry for 10.45 am. On the way we decided we would divert to Brae and buy some fish to cook for tea and some pastries, at the co-op. However, this was a bit further off the route than we estimated and the ferry was already being when we arrived. This was most unlike us. There seemed to be a lot of traffic for the ferry including one very large and one moderately large lorry, the latter being already on the ferry. We got loaded, the smaller of the two lorries was taken off and after head scratching and cars being packed more closely it boarded again. The ferry staff do an amazing job not only getting as much on the ferry as they can and making sure it is well balanced. However, we were pleased we booked as some cars got left behind. 


Once onto Yell we took the right turn around the island by the slow route and went to the Old Haa Museum. We made coffee and then I went in while M cleared up, I was going to look at Knitwear and he correctly decided I would be a while! 


This really interested and attracted me. Coming from Norfolk, we have such interesting rocks on our beaches back home and we have been on several walks to look at these  in our ‘Deep History’ part of the coast, the north east corner of the county. To me there is a great lack of suitable books naming these so I was keen to look at the rocks here. 

A lovely greeting outside the door of the Old Haa, Yell










I was not  disappointed, every opportunity was taken to help the visitor know more about the rocks on display in the museum. I am also into ‘shells’ in a big way and similarly they were brilliantly labelled and displayed. I will only include an indication here of what can be seen at the Old Haa, if you can do visit. 

Shells (rather large but I can now just about read the names!)






















Then it was time to look at the knitwear. I love to visit these local museums as they include knitwear made by local people and there is always such regional variation. It is by looking at knitwear like this one is able to get a better feel for what Shetland Lace is …… and what isn’t (to me) Shetland Lace and what to me could more appropriately be called  ‘inspired’ by Shetland Lace. To me Shetland Lace is more than the motifs, it includes the construction techniques and somehow the passed down history too. I was in for another treat today. 

Great use of natural colours 



















The display had been put on particularly to cover wool week. There were shawls, but there were also other pieces  too including a lace beret and lace cardigans. 

Beret 



















I think  these cardigans are great, they not only show the normal lace knitting skills, of getting the yarn, needles and the pattern balance correct but also understanding shaping and getting these to fit the the human body. Well, not just any human body but probably the body of the knitter or one of the family. These are truly great pieces to me and they do not compromise on ‘a good fit’ either. 


I saw several in Whalsay and now there were more to look at here. There was also some  framed lace, some from Shetland Wool Week 2022 from a workshop Hazel Laurenson had led and also several other samples of lace that had their status raised by being framed, quite correctly too in my mind. 

Framed  lace knitting 




































For many years I have been on a shawl ‘mitre’ study, there are so many ‘Shetland’ ways of doing these and so I homed in on more to add to my personal collection here today. 

Another mitre 




















Eventually I tore myself away and it was nearing lunchtime. We drove through the middle of the island and stopped at a favourite spot by a bus shelter. (1)  Often the bus shelters are  decorated well. There is the famous one in Unst, but the ones in Yell are pretty special too. How uplifting! 




 
























.... and my favourite














After lunch it was time to get the ferry to Unst. 

This was taken while we were in the queue, improvements are being made to the jetty.




 

















We went straight to the Uyeasound where we would be staying for 3 nights overlooking the sea. This year we would be able to use the hostel facilities as we did pre covid. It is always good to chat to other visitors to the island. Two disappointments, there is no internet available this year, due to the cost and lack of a proper service for the money, my phone which uses Vodaphone mainly works. Three which Michael uses has no reception here, but I can lend him a connection!  Also the drier is missing, but there will likely be plenty of wind! However, we are so pleased to have got here. The sun was out and it felt special. 

Photo at Uyeasound




















Notes

Bus shelters. Throughout the islands bus shelters in Shetland frequently have a car park next to them. This is a good idea as people can drive to the bus stop and then collect the bus and once off the bus drive home. Or this could aid car sharing. It is such a sensible idea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment