Tuesday 14 February 2023

Shetland Wool Week trip: Mon 12 Sept 2022


It was a very wet night, it was great to see real rain again, as we had been in virtual drought conditions for months back home. However, it turned out to be a nice day and the next day we would be moving to a Unst for a week so  decided to do a food and wool shop today! We started off by having a bacon bap in Mackenzies, highly recommended and then drove into Lerwick for some supplies.

Driving into Lerwick, wonderful views. (Michael was driving, this is a quick snap with my phone)



 Today we chose the Co-op, rather than Tesco and were not disappointed. A good choice and the general ambience felt better to me. Tesco seems to be catering for families with lots of members or people with a large freezer. I can understand this but for 2 of us in the motorhome we had a wider choice in the Co-op as we could buy smaller packs.


Next stop was Jamieson and Smith. It was great to be in there when it was not too busy. The shop has had a substantial makeover and felt quite different. It was very spacious and it was great to be surrounded by so much wool, patterns and books. A true delight. On top of this Michael found a plain jumper in a sky blue colour that would be thinner than his fair Isle ones. So after seeming to try on every jumper of that colour in the shop a suitable size was found. I bought some yarn, including a cone of 2ply supreme which I enjoyed knitting my sample shawl shapes, in my Elizabeth Williamson workshops with. By buying a natural colour I can naturally dye the amount I need using plants from the garden mainly. This yarn has taken the dye well and shown no problems with felting. (I am an avid watcher of indie dyers yarn and notice this is not always the case!) I also included a pattern for ‘houss’ socks in a traditional design. I have been going to a Podiatrist  and found that wearing Houss socks aids the mobility of my toe joints rather than wearing former slippers every day. 

Houss socks from Jamieson and Smith



The plan was to have lunch in Hay’s Dock, but I had forgotten that the Museum and thus the cafe is closed on a Monday. We decided  to drive back into town. 

View from the Pier showing the Bressay ferry (and what a wonderful day it was)


We then found, as it was not wool week that The Peerie Cafe and The Dowry were also closed. In fact as it turned out we were pleased about this as we had never eaten in The French Restaurant called C’est La Vie. The whole experience was delightful, the food, the service, the ambience. How had we been coming to Shetland all that time without visiting this restaurant. It would not be our last visit. Following this there  was another treat, this time in Beggs. They have a fantastic selection of boots and I choose a delightful green pair which would match exactly my Harris Tweed green skirt. I looked forward to wearing them together during the winter. ( in fact this never happened, as I lost a substantial amount of weight and now 4 months later think I must make the skirt smaller as I have managed to stabilise my weight but at several kilos lighter). 

The boots and the skirt




After a nice pottering around day we made our way back to the campsite, such a lovely day here now. 

View of Marina 



We cooked chicken for dinner as we would take the rest with us to Unst, where we were travelling tomorrow., having booked the ferry from mainland at 10.15. We were very much looking forward to going to Unst, we love the island and had missed it for the last couple of years. We would be coming back to stay here after our stay in Unst. 

A wonderful reflection at sunset from the campsite, taken at 19.30



No comments:

Post a Comment